Home treatments for sore throat relief may have not provide quick healing process in comparison with such of antibiotics. But the fact is that antibiotics can cure a sore throat of microbial origin, but if the infection is viral, then antibiotics won’t give the good results. Natural remedies can work wonders, even if the cause of sore throat is a virus.
Sore throat is commonly known as pharyngitis. It is a painful inflammation of the mucous membrane lining the pharynx. It is caused either by bacterial or viral infection that occurs to everyone starting from infants to adults.
Sore throats are most commonly seen in winter season. If you are facing this problem, try this natural remedies rather than artificial things. These homemade natural remedies are safe and cheapest but give excellent results. Sore throat should last within 7 to 10 days. If not, consult a doctor to diagnose the cause and start taking the treatment to get rid of the problem.
In this article you will find some of the best homemade natural remedies which are useful to solve the sore throat problems.
Honey & Lemon Tea
You will need: 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional), 250 ml of water.
Take water in a pan and add honey to it. Heat it on medium flame until it gets warm. Stir lemon juice in it and add sugar. Mix the ingredients well. Drink this tea to get relief from sore throat and throat infection.
NOTE: Honey used in tea will help to coat your throat. Lemon will helps to reduce mucus. Hot water will relaxes the throat muscles.
Cayenne Pepper Tea
You will need: freshly squeezed juice from one lemon, 1-2 teaspoons of honey, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder.
Mix equally one part of lemon tea and peppermint tea. Add lemon juice, honey, cayenne pepper powder to it. Mix it well in a pan. Heat the pan until it gets warmed. Drink the tea which gives you relaxation from the problem.
NOTE: Cayenne contains an element called substance P, which helps the brain to detect the pain signals and helps to get faster relaxation with a little spice. Lemon and honey helps to prevent the infection.
You will need: 8 ounces of milk, 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Take cinnamon and sugar in small saucepan. Add baking soda, milk to it and mix it well. Heat the milk on medium flame to warm it but not over boil it. Allow it to cool and add honey to it. Stir it well until the honey dissolves completely. Drink the milk hot to get down the problem.
NOTE: When cinnamon and honey combines the mixture will acts as antiseptic, anti-inflammatory. Antioxidants and other benefits will helps to cure the sore throat problem. Milk will helps to produce more mucus to get moist in the throat.
Apple Cider Vinegar
You will need: 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 cup of warm water.
Mix all the ingredients well to make a fine fluid. Drink that when it is warm. Or you can try it as Gargle by adding a little bit of salt to 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Mix it well in 1/2 cup of warm water. Do it regularly for at least twice a day.
NOTE: Apple cider vinegar contains high level of acidity which kills the bacteria. Honey will soothe the soreness in your throat. Don’t give this to little children while it contains honey, which will increase the problem to them.
You will need: 1 pomegranate or juice with less sugar and organic, 3-4 cups of water.
Peel the pomegranate and collect its rind. Boil the rinds for about 15 minutes in 3-4 cups of water.
Drink the tea or gargle it for at least 30 seconds. You can gargle or drink the pomegranate juice for at least 3 times a day.
NOTE: Pomegranate can help to fight the infection with its antioxidants. It also contains astringents which cause the contraction of body tissues and this will help relieve sore throat problem.
You will need: fresh ginger roots, honey, 2-3 cups of water.
Wash the ginger thoroughly and peel it off. Cut it into small pieces. Place it on a cutting board and cover it with a piece of wax paper. Or you can slice it into very small chunks after peeling. Boil your water on medium heat. Add ginger and boil it for another 3-5 minutes. Pour the tea in your mug. Drink the tea when it is warm. You can strain the ginger if you don’t like it to taste.
NOTE: Ginger is an expectorant, which helps to loosen & expel mucus from your respiratory system. It also helps in circulation, increasing oxygen to your cells, removing the toxins and heals the problem very fast. It acts as anti inflammatory & fights the bacteria that causing the sore throat.
You will need: garlic oil, 1/4 of water.
Add few drops of garlic oil in water. Use that liquid as a gargle once in a day. Or you can take the garlic in raw or cooked form.
NOTE: Garlic contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help to kill the bacteria and prevents the problem of sore throat.
Tips to Relieve Sore Throat Symptoms
- Salt water gargle will helps to prevent the sore throat & it will reduce swelling in the throat and it removes the bacteria easily. For this take a cup of water and add half tea spoon of salt, mix it well and take that water in your mouth do gargling and split it out the water but don’t swallow it.
- You can also gargle with Raspberry leaf tea, sage, turmeric, Listerine.
- Take fluids and liquids like water, fruits juice etc. which helps to keep the mucous membranes moist and fights with bacteria that cause the throat pain. At this stage, you have to keep yourself hydrated.
- Drink a warm cup of tea whether herbal, non herbal which contains antioxidants helps to strength the immunity and kills the bacteria causing sore throat. To boost it further, you can add a teaspoon of honey which contains anti bacterial properties helps to get faster relief.
- Take chicken soup or sip the broth which contains anti inflammatory properties and soothe your throat.
- Include food containing vitamins, minerals, antioxidants like oysters, sweet potatoes, fresh fruits, vegetables, green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits (as it have antimicrobial effects & vitamin C which helps to boost the immunity) etc in your diet.
- Take some rest and allow your body to regain the energy which helps to fight with the virus causing sore throat.
- Drink hot milk by adding a small amount of turmeric powder in it.
- Don’t eat the oily food which increases the pain and problem.