Homemade remedies for heartburn relief are used for many centuries and has proven effectiveness in some cases. Of course, you can use the medication for quick relief of symptoms, however, the natural recipes can also be no less effective.
Heartburn is also known as Pyrosis, cardialgia or acid indigestion. It is a burning sensation caused in the chest just behind the breast bone and the pain can extend to neck, throat and face.
Heartburn can happen when your stomach acids come up into esophagus (tube that carries food from mouth to stomach), then acids back up and cause a burning sensation in the chest.
Try these natural homemade remedies. They will prevent heartburn and also help it not to repeat in future also.
Aloe Vera contains anti-inflammatory property and soothe the burns. So take aloe vera gel or its juice after taking meals.
It is a medicinal herb used to cure many problems. It is a demulcent that provides a coating or protective layer to thicken the tissues of stomach and creating strong barriers to acids. So include it in your diet by adding couple tablespoons of slippery elm in water and drink it after taking meals or at bed time.
Chewing gum will stimulates the salivary flow rate and any acid that was there in the gut is washed away and clearance of acid will improves the symptoms. Take a sugar free chewing gum regularly after taking your meals.
Baking soda is a natural antacid which helps to neutralize the acids and give temporary relief from heartburn. Take a teaspoon of baking soda and dissolve it in 8 ounces of water. Drink it to get instant relief from heartburn. Careful while taking, as it has some drawbacks also.
Banana acts as a natural antacid which helps to prevent the heartburn. So take banana regularly to avoid this problem.
It helps to relieve tension and it has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. Taste the tea to neutralize the stomach acids.
How to Make Chamomile Tea?
Take a cup and add dried chamomile flowers in it. Pour hot water in it. Allow it to infuse for about 3 minutes. Strain it in another cup by using a strainer Drink the tea if you want you can add lemon and honey to it.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It heels the stomach problems and helps to get faster digestion and at last relief from the heartburn.
Add 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in half cup of water or apple juice. Stir it well. Take the drink immediately after completing the meals. Or it can be taken in the form of tablet, capsule or liquid.
Ginger will soothe the stomach and promote digestion. It is one of the oldest remedy to treat heartburn. It can take ginger in any form i.e., either raw, cooked or tea.
It helps to get faster digestion and prevent acid build up. You can take it either through curry food or any other items or capsule form.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away yes it is true it is a medical herb to get relief from many problems or diseases. Here it is also useful to prevent heartburn. Apples reduce the acid production and neutralize it in your stomach and reduce burning sensations. You can take apples either in raw or cooked form to get rid of the problem.
Almonds also help to prevent the heartburn, as it contains high oil which neutralizes the acid levels in the stomach. Take a handful of almonds chew or eat the almonds and not more than 30 minutes you will get the relief from heartburn.
Basil leaves helps in relieving heartburn as it minimizes the acids in the stomach. So, take few leaves of basil and chew it to get the relief.
Cinnamon or Cardamom
Both are spicy and help to reduce the acid levels in the stomach. Make tea with crushed cinnamon or cardamom by adding 1 cup of boiling water, steep, strain and drink it.
Fennel seeds is an excellent herb for heartburn as it helps to cut back on the acid in your stomach but it is not safe for pregnant women. Take 2 tsp of seeds in a cup of boiling water, steep for about 10 minutes and drink it to get the relief from heartburn.
Garlic works well on heartburn as it acts as antibiotic and kills the pathogenic micro organism which causes gastric problems. Chew a clove of garlic when heartburn occurs or you can store a few cloves of garlic in apple cider vinegar and take a sip of liquid when you face the problem. Or you can take garlic in cooked form.
Potatoes are having a property of neutralizing the acid in the stomach and also heal the lining of your esophagus. Take a juice of raw potato and cold water in equal quantity and stir it well until it is cloudy from the starch. Drink that juice which is safe, simple and effective on heartburn.
Pine apple contains an enzyme called bromelain which helps to reduce hydrochloric acid levels in your stomach and effectively reduce heartburn. Drink 4 oz of pineapple juice after meals to solve the problem.
Tips to Prevent Heartburn Symptoms
- Avoid oily, spicy and acidic food and food that contain tomatoes, onions, chocolates, coffee, alcohol, caffeine and other dishes which contain high levels of fat to reduce and prevent the heart burn.
- Don’t eat the food that causes the heartburn like citrus fruits or its juice, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, carbonated beverages, chilli dogs, milk etc.
- Eat less food in more frequent times, which will not increase the upward pressure against esophageal sphincter and reduces the heartburn.
- Wait at least for 2-3 hours after eating/taking meals to go to bed for lying down to sleep.
- Avoid smoking. Smoke contains nicotine which stimulates the production of acids in stomach.
- Stress is also a reason to cause heartburn. So try to avoid stress by doing yoga, meditation etc.
- Take antacids either in tablet or liquid form to get instant heel from the burn but careful not to take it in overdose as it gives side effects.
- Drink water in between meals and avoid drink fluids with meals which increase the volume of stomach contents and causes heartburn.
- Include stomach cooling juices like papaya, mango, guava, pear or cabbage, raw potatoes, soda crackers, buttermilk (acid reliever), fermented milk and food like almonds, brown rice, soy products in your diet to prevent the problem of heartburn.
- Avoid skin tight jeans or clothes as it adds pressure on abdomen.
- Eat the food slowly by taking smaller bites.
- Eat more fiber food to get easily digested.
- Drink plenty of water to resolve the problem. It’s better to prepare your favorite food in different way by trimming extra fat off in your food.