DIY home remedies to relieve arthritis pains can do much for those who suffer from this disease. If medications, physical therapy and other medical methods of treating arthritis don’t help, you can apply for the traditional methods of treatment. Traditional medicine in the treatment of arthritis can be a good way in alleviating the symptoms of the disease.
Arthritis is a common pain in your fingers or hands, knees, elbows, hips jaw or any other place where there is a joint between bones. It is an inflammation of the joints either one or more in your body and has such symptoms as pain, stiffness, swelling, redness, decreases range of motion. Unfortunately, there is no cure for it but there is a chance to control it and make our life better.
Home Remedies for Arthritis
If you are suffering from arthritis, there are some natural home remedies to relieve discomfort and pain.
A study conducted by the University of Michigan Health System found out that turmeric works better than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve inflammation after surgery. Chinese medicine use turmeric for various medical conditions including pains and inflammation. So, take turmeric regularly either in capsule form or turmeric water or turmeric in cooked food or turmeric mixed in warm milk and drink this milk before going to bed to get control over the pain.
Ginger has the ability to increase the blood circulation and also acts as anti-inflammatory so it is also good remedy for arthritis. So, intake of ginger regularly will helps a lot to healing arthritis. You can consume ginger in different forms:
Take half teaspoon of ginger powder or 30 grams (approximately 6 teaspoons) of fresh ginger once in a day.
You can apply ginger oil regularly on the painful area to reduce the pain.
You can simply eat the ginger regularly either in the raw or in cooked or in tincture, all forms to get relief from the joint pain and inflammation.
NOTE: For better results you can combine turmeric and ginger for joint paint relief. You can prepare turmeric ginger tea. Recipe is very simple: add turmeric and ginger peeled roots to boiling water and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Strain, add honey and then sip this herbal tea.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus which are very essential in relieving the joint pain. So, take a cup of warm water and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and honey in it. Mix this in water and drink this daily in the morning to remove the buildup toxins in the joints and connective tissues.
Cinnamon is also an anti-inflammatory substance, so it helps in removing stiffness of the muscles and joints. Cinnamon is also recommended for arthritis. So, take a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a tablespoon of honey. Mix these two in a cup of warm water and drink this regularly in the morning on an empty stomach. Or you can make a paste of cinnamon and honey and apply it on the painful area by massaging gently.
Green tea may have health benefits which include preventing arthritis. Study results reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences proved that antioxidants found in green tea, known as polyphenols, may effectively reduce the unpleasant symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. So, drink green tea regularly to get rid of this problem.
Capsaicin is a substance which gives the hot peppers heat to give relief and also to divert the brain to another topic rather than arthritis pain. Take either its pate or powder or any other supplement form and rub this on the joints where the arthritis pain is coming then it starts to irritate your nerve endings and also gives some relief from the pain also.
Cloves have an anti inflammatory chemical compound called eugenol which helps to heal the pain of arthritis. It also contains antioxidants which give relief from the pain and swelling that was caused by the arthritis. So, intake of cloves in any form will defiantly helps you a lot in reducing the pain.
Cherries are rich in magnesium (natural pain killer) and potassium (acts as diuretic) that helps to reduce the inflammation by riding the tissue of fluid, this will efficiently treats the arthritis particularly gout. So, take it regularly either in the form of tinned, frozen, fresh or syrup (a strong, sweet drink obtained by boiling some cherries in water for about few minutes till the water came to half) to get relieve from the arthritis.
Alfalfa is one of the herb which is rich in minerals and helps to regulate pH levels to heal the people who suffers from the arthritis. You can make a tea by adding some alfalfa seeds to a cup of boiling water and let it stir and steep for few minutes. Then strain the tea and drink this twice a day for about 2 – 3 weeks to reduce the inflammation.
Onion is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties. The sulfur compounds in onions inhibit the enzymes that trigger pain. A study establishes that fresh onions have an analgesic effect similar to that of morphine.
Carrots have been used for centuries in Chinese medicine as an effective remedy for aching joints. Simply grate a carrot in a bowl, and squeeze some lemon juice on it or enjoy raw or steamed. Carrot nurtures the ligaments, bringing relief from pain.
Regular massaging of your arthritic joints will helps to reduce the pain and stiffness. Massage will helps to improve your motion and makes you feel better to do the work. First of all consult your doctor and then proceed to work with your physical therapist or massage therapist who have experience in massaging to the people who are suffering from the arthritis. Learn some self-massage techniques or have scheduled appointments with the therapist.
Hot and Cold Compress
You can apply either heat or cold compress to the joints which are aching will definitely provides significant relief from its pain. Heat compress, you can apply either electric blanket, mitts, heating pads or hot packs, etc. or you can heat the things for at least 20 minutes and apply it to your arthritis painful area to get relief from the fever. Or you can simply take hot water bath or showers which can helps to soothe your pain. Then coming to cold compress as it will also works well in removing the pain from arthritis (joints). For this you have to wrap an ice cubes in a wash cloth or towel and try to hold and press this on the sore joint or you can use the frozen tea bags, peas or corn, etc. by pressing it to the joints where you’re getting the arthritis.
Planning perfect diet by including the essential vitamins and minerals will definitely helps to control the arthritis by removing the pain in your joints.
Intake omega -3 fatty acids in your diet which helps to lessen the inflammation and pain that is caused by arthritis. Omega -3 fatty acids are rich in salmon fish, flaxseeds, nuts, etc will helps to produce anti-inflammatory fats called resolvins, this helps a lot in healing the arthritis.
Pomegranate juice, which contains both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that helps to protect your cartilage. This juice will lower an inflammatory chemical linked with over production of certain enzyme, this enzyme helps to replace cartilage but if take over then it wear away the cartilage.
Take the food which is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and vitamin E in your diet. However our body contains free radicals (unstable molecules that attack our healthy cells and causes arthritis) which destroys the cartilage’s ability to maintain and repair itself. So regular intake of vitamin C (citrus fruits), antioxidants and vitamin E (green leafy vegetables, etc.) will helps a lot in healing the joints pain.
Eat pineapple which contains bromelain (a protein-digesting enzyme) will helps to bring down some inflammation and reduces the pain of osteoarthritis. Eat this regularly between your meals but not with meals and also not to eat canned or its juice.
Tips to Reduce the Arthritis
Try these simple tips regularly to get relief from the arthritis now and also in future by following regularly.
- Keep moving your joints as much as possible why because these movements will function your joints better for a longer period of time.
- Have some regular exercises like walking, gardening or even housekeeping which will helps to get rid of the problem. You can also do some hand exercise in either a sink or bowl filled with warm water to get additional ease or comfort from the arthritis. But make sure that not to overdo the exercise if it makes your pain worse, then you can lessen the frequency or the amount of exercise. Or if it is giving relief then continue doing it.
- Playing in a pool will also helps you to get relief from the arthritis as it a simple exercise. You can choose heated pool or whirlpool but take the advice of your doctor whether to do or not if you’re pregnant or suffering from any chronic health problems. This warm water will helps to loosen the joints and make muscles more flexible to move.
- Don’t over use over the counter creams or pain killers unless and until your doctor prescribed to you as these may give temporary relief but it activate the enzymes which will breakdown the cartilage in the joints when use continuously.
- Put a scarf around your elbow or knee joint when it pains but not too tightly. You can wear a pair of stretch gloves as it reduces the swelling in arthritis fingers. Or you can wear electric gloves with battery operated mitts at night while you go to sleep.
- Use down blankets to warm up your joints and get relief from the pain. If you are allergic to down blanket then use electric blanket which gives relief from the pain and discomfort.
- Lose weight if you’re overweight as the excess weight will always puts it stress on the knee or joints. It’s better and recommended to be in perfect wait and lose the weight as early as possible if you’re over weight.
- Prepare a plan everyday which is realistic, written schedule and do all the tasks by thinking that you have the essential energy and enthusiasm.
- Try to avoid holding one position for a longer time as this will add to stiffness and discomfort. Try to relax and stretch your joints as much as possible. And also always use your arm rather than your hand or outstretched arm.
- Use eucalyptus oil or oil of winter green by taking few drops of this oil and rub it on the skin where your joints are paining. But make to check or consult doctor before rubbing the oil as it causes some skin reaction to some people. And also remember that not to apply this under heating pad or hot compress as this action will cause the skin to burn or irritate the skin.
- Consume fish oil of 1 – 2 teaspoons daily or take fish oil supplements in the morning on an empty stomach to get relief from the arthritis.
They are many people suffering from this arthritis and also the number is increasing yearly. It became a common problem that won’t get cured but luckily there are many natural home remedies and tips which will alleviate its symptoms and relieve its pain and inflammation whenever you try these remedies. Even though, if you can’t find any relief from the pain and discomfort then consult doctor as it can lead to any other health problem.