Sandalwood essential oil is an exotic, amazing and expensive oil. It has some incredible benefits which are actually backed up by scientific research.
Sandalwood oil is best known in the west as a sweet, warm, rich and woody essential oil used as is for a body fragrance, and as an ingredient in fragrant products such as incense, perfumes, aftershaves and other cosmetics. But the story of sandalwood, the divine essence, goes much further. Sandalwood has been a part of the religious and spiritual traditions of India since prehistory and has been effectively used in traditional medicine for thousands of years.
Sandalwood (Santalum album) belongs to the family of sandalwood. Sandal evergreen tree reaching a height of 15 meters. Sandalwood essential oil is obtained by steam distillation. The finished has a thick consistency and no color.
Effects & Actions of Sandalwood Oil
Effects of sandalwood oil on internal organs and systems
Effects of sandalwood oil on psycho-emotional sphere
It relieves anxiety and nervous tension. Natural treatment of depression, brings peace and tranquility to the weary soul, creates a joyful mood.
It is interesting to note that sandalwood is used in many different ways in the spiritual traditions of the East. It is considered beneficial for meditation and for calming and focusing the mind. It is used as incense in temples or on personal altars to remind us of the fragrant realms of the heavenly realms. Deities of various kinds are fashioned from Sandalwood, then installed in a shrine or temple or placed upon the home altar. When Sandalwood was more abundant, the wood was used to construct parts of temples. Meditation beads or malas are made with Sandalwood in which a mantra or a personal prayer is repeated as the beads roll through the fingers. Sandalwood paste is used in many rituals including fire ceremonies, and Sandalwood paste is also used to anoint the forehead as a blessing, as well as to make a design symbolic to particular religious sects.
Impact of sandalwood on human bio-energy field
The aroma-guru, the teacher, the destroyer of darkness. It contains the energy balance of “yin” and “yang” – the harmony of night and day, cold and heat, prompting avoid any excesses and natural way to adapt to change. It affects mental point of ethereal physiology, opening the springs of creativity, personal completeness, talent, virtuosity and a love of knowledge. It helps avoid impulsive, not related to the world of light behavior, increases the luminous pearl body aura. The fragrance for meditation.
Usage of Sandalwood Oil in Cosmetology
Sandalwood Oil to Prevent Acne: Acne can be prevented, soothed and eliminated with sandal wood oil. The anti-inflammatory properties of sandal wood essential oil have soothing effects which help calm down acne inflammation and redness. It’s antibacterial and antiseptic properties help to fight off acne causing bacteria and help keep popped pimple wounds clean and germ-free.
Treatment for dry, aging and tired skin. Cream with essential oils of sandalwood is an excellent means to care for neck and decollete beauty. Due to its antiseptic properties of sandalwood oil helps with acne, boils. Eliminates dry dandruff. Sandal wood essential oil softens skin by increasing its ability to retain moisture. It will help get rid of flakes and water dry skin, thereby making it look plump and healthy.
Cure for Oily Skin with Sandalwood Oil: As a well-known astringent, sandalwood essential oil is very useful in getting rid of overly oily skin by tightening large pores and controlling excess sebum secretion.
Body Deodorant with Sandalwood Oil: Its long lasting fragrance is sure to keep your skin feeling clean and fresh with a pleasant scent. It contains antibacterial properties that will protect your skin from bacteria that are responsible for bad odor. It is known to help with underarm circles, drive away prickly heat, cool the skin in summer and guard against underarm darkening.
Natural Antioxidant: Due to the article “Antiradical efficiency of 20 selected medicinal plants” published in 2012, it is proved that sandalwood oil presents highly significant antiradical efficiency singly and in combination with either vitamin A, C or E.
Indications in Usage of Sandalwood
- An effective remedy for catarrh of nasopharynx: runny nose, sore throat.
- Antiviral Effect of Sandalwood Oil: According to article “Inhibitory effect of essential oils against herpes simplex virus type 2” published in 2007, sandalwood proved its effectiveness treatment of herpesvirus infections.
- Eliminates inflammatory and respiratory congestion processes (various forms of bronchitis), has antitussive and expectorant action. Among common sandalwood essential oil uses are reducing inflammation and pain caused by wounds, insect bites, poisoning and use of antibiotics. It can as well be used to reduce inflammation in the digestive, excretory, circulatory and nervous systems. Talk to your doctor before using sandalwood internally.
- Antispasmodics, optimizes blood circulation and microcirculation. Prevents dizziness, nausea, darkening of the eyes. It strengthens blood vessels, effective in treating varicose veins. It cleanses the body of out of toxins.
- It optimizes digestion, eliminates gastritis, dyspepsia and diarrhea. Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect on the organs of the urogenital system: cystitis, urethritis, vaginitis. It is a decongestant and diuretic.
- For women: facilitates the flow of menses, harmonizes menstrual cycle, removes frigidity.
- For men: effective for prostatitis, orahnoiditah and impotence.
- Sandalwood as Aphrodisiac: Sandalwood oil contains aphrodisiac properties, which helps stimulate sex urges. It helps stimulate mood, improve impotence, and enhance sexual desire. This also explains why it is commonly added to perfumes.
- Sandalwood to Prevent Cancer: According to Anti-cancer Research in 2015, oil has ability to induce cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis in cancer cells is its most reported anticancer mechanism of action.
Contraindications in usage of sandalwood oil
Using sandalwood internally may be toxic to some people, especially children, pregnant and nursing mothers, and those with heart disease, kidney or liver disease. Some people may experience irritation after applying sandalwood oil on the skin.
Make sure to get tested before applying sandalwood oil or apply to a small part of the skin before applying to the rest of your skin.
Blends well with: rose, ylang-ylang, rosewood, geranium, vetiver, frankincense, myrrh, tuberose, patchouli, musk, clove, basil, jasmine, cypress, lavender, neroli, palmarosa.
- Anticancer Effects of Sandalwood (International Institute of Anticancer Research, 2015 Jun)
- Antiradical efficiency of 20 selected medicinal plants (Laboratory of Medicinal Plant Biotechnology, University of Rajasthan, 2012)
- Inhibitory effect of essential oils against herpes simplex virus type 2 (Phytomedicine, Volume 15, Issues 1–2, 25 January 2008)