Home treatments for cold sore can effectively help if the measures to stop this unpleasant disease are taken immediately after the appearance of first symptoms. If the disease does not develop more than 1-2 times a year, then there is no reason to worry. But if you suffer from more frequent relapses, it may indicate about serious problems with immune system, which is to be observed under strict medical supervision.
Cold sore is also commonly known as fever blisters (also called as oral herpes, labial herpes, herpes labialis and herpes febrilis). Cold sores are tiny, fluid filled blisters that occur on and around the lips, mouth and nose.
Cold sores and canker sores are different terms but many people use these as interchangeable words. Cold sores are caused by viral infection on or around the mouth, lips and nose whereas canker sores are caused by bacterial infections inside the mouth and cheeks. Cold sores are contagious but canker sores are not.
Cold sores can be healed within two weeks. If you want to get rid of cold sores, try these natural remedies.
Garlic contains the antibacterial property which helps to disinfect the area and speed ups the healing process. But when you apply garlic, it may sting a little bit as it is potent in nature.
Take some garlic cloves. Make a paste either by crushing or chopping it. Apply it on the cold sores. Leave it for few minutes and rinse it off with normal water.
Take a teaspoon of strong echinacea root. Swish it around your mouth for about 2 -3 minutes. After that, swallow it completely.
Chamomile contains bisabolol, a component which helps to heal sores on mucous membranes.
Drink chamomile tea regularly. Let the hot liquid linger on the sores. Or you can simply apply chamomile tincture to the sore for at least 3-4 times a day to get faster healing.
Milk contains immunoglobulin’s and I-lysine amino acids which heals the sore. It will also soothe the pain caused by the sores.
Take a raw milk or cold milk in a bowl. Soak a cotton ball or pad in the milk. Apply that cotton ball on the cold sores. Let it kept for few minutes. If you have tell – tale tingling feel before the cold sore surface. Then take directly cold milk, which can speed up the process of healing from beginning part.
Vanilla contains anti-infection properties, which helps to get rid of the viral infection quickly. It also reduces the inflammation and pain caused by the sores.
Take pure vanilla or its extract. Apply few drops of pure vanilla extract on the cold sores. Use a sterile cotton ball or q-tip to apply the extract on cold sores. Process has to be repeated for three to four times a day. Using pure vanilla extract gives best results rather than artificial vanilla.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antiviral, anti-fungal and antibiotic properties which help to prevent the infection and at last preventing the cold sores.
Take tea tree oil and add two or three times of water to it. Mix it well. Apply it on the cold sores. Leave it for few minutes. This will help to prevent the lesion from forming.
Apple Cider Vinegar
The apple cider vinegar helps to dry out the blister, kills bacteria and also balances the pH level.
Take apple cider vinegar and a cotton ball. Apply the vinegar directly on the open sores by using the cotton ball. It will sting a little bit. Process has to be repeated for several times a day to get better results.
Licorice is very effective in cold sore treatment. Glycyrrhizic acid present in licorice will helps to stop the cold sore virus cells to spread and reduces it to recur again.
Take a licorice whip and chew it regularly. Make sure to check that whether it is made of pure licorice or not, before taking it. Or you can buy a powder of licorice. Sprinkle it on the sore and its surrounding areas. Or you can try by simply make a fine paste of licorice. For that you need a little bit of licorice powder and smidgen of pure vegetable shortening. Mix it all and make a fine creamy paste. Apply it onto the sores and let it sit for few minutes. Wash it off with normal water. But make sure not to use the licorice more as it causes the side effects too.
Peppermint oil can easily penetrate into the skin, when applied and helps to cure the cold sore by its powerful antiviral properties.
Take few drops of peppermint oil. Apply it on your sore affected area. Leave it for few minutes. Rinse it off with normal water. Process has to be repeated for twice a day to get the speed recovery from the cold sores.
Corn starch will helps to bring instant relief from the itching and burning sensations of the cold sores and helps in preventing it fast.
Take a cornstarch and add few drops of water in it. Mix it well to make a fine paste. Apply it on the cold sores and leave it for few minutes. Rinse it off with normal water.
It contains antibiotic property and it soothes the cold sore irritation and heals it fast.
Take organic honey in a bowl. Pour a little bit of honey on your cold sores when it starts. Leave it for few minutes. Raise it off. Repeat the process to get good results as honey is one of the oldest remedy for things to cure naturally.
It contains active ingredients which helps to prevent the infection and reduces the cold sores.
Take 2 teaspoons of powdered myrrh and a cup of boiling water. Now add that powdered myrrh in boiling water. Dab it on your cold sores frequently. Do this process continuously in a day to get the best results.
It has anti-inflammatory and soothing property which helps to reduce the infection and pain caused by the cold sores.
Take a fresh aloe vera leaf or get the fresh aloe vera gel from the departmental stores. Rub the gel or liquid on the blister. Leave it for few minutes and rinse it off. Try this process for at least 2-3 times a day to get rid of the problem.
Camphor is having the property to numb the things and pain to reduce the cold sores.
Take some spirits of camphor. Dab it on the painful sores by sing a cotton ball. Leave it few minutes; it will do its action to reduce the pain. Other things that are used in place of camphor are benzocaine, lidocaine, benzyl alcohol, tetracaine and phenol used to numb the pain.
Tips to Prevent Cold Sores
- Apply petroleum jelly on a cold sore will heal the problem soon and protect it from the secondary infection with bacteria. As well as don’t share your lipstick or make up kit to anyone.
- Put an ointment containing benzocaine on the cold sores will temporarily reduce the pain by numbing the sore area.
- You need to change the toothbrush whenever the inflamed blister has formed and again after it cleared up, as toothbrush can easily spread the virus.
- Apply sunscreen to your lips or affected part of the cold sores, which helps to prevent the recurrence of cold sores. Sunscreen with SPF of 15 or above will be suitable for lips or you can simply use a lipstick which contains sunscreen.
- Doing the things like squeeze, pinch or pick a cold sore will definately increases the infection. So, don’t do these things to avoid the cold sores.
- Cold sores are infectious so, it’s better to avoid kissing, sharing cups, towels or any other things which can transferred from one person to another person soon.
- Use hand sanitizer to your hand anywhere when you touch the cold sore. It’s recommended to wash your hands frequently or especially when your touch your cold sore or around the affected area, for not to spread the virus all over the body.
- Put an ice pack or cold compress which helps you to get the temporary relief from the pain. You can also use super cold drinks like slushes or smoothies which help to numb the cold sore area and give temporary relief from the pain. But avoid juicy bars which cause the irritation due to its acidic content.
- As we all know, stress is one of the cause of the cold sores, so try to avoid it by sucking Zinc lozenges which helps to boost the immune system. Or you can try stress relief techniques like deep breath, yoga, exercise, meditation etc, to reduce and control the stress.
- Use a lemon extract lip balm which gives faster relief from the pain.
- Avoid taking food that is high in arginine, which is a protein that helps the herpes virus by building blocks to spread it. Food containing arginine are whole grains, seeds, nuts, chocolates etc.
- Keep the acidic food away i.e., acidic foods like citric fruits, tomatoes in any form, vinegar and its extract should be avoided as when you eat them, the herpes virus expand in an acidic environment.
- Apply salt on the sores and press gently for at least 30 seconds to allow the salt to enter into the sore and kill the bacteria. Do this by using your moisten figure to be dipped in salt and take some salt to do the process.
- Applying a topical oil like lavender oil or melissa oil regularly for several times a day will heal the cold sores soon.
- Don’t try to squeeze or burst the sore, as it again causes the problem to repeat.
- Aloe vera sap, which helps to relieve from the pain from cold sores and it also reduces the cracking around the lips.