Chocolate hair mask is beneficial in hair treatment. It is believed to be natural remedy to grow hair faster. In addition, it provides hair with incredible shine and softness making it even more attractive.
Everyone loves chocolate. Right? Who can refuse from eating even a small piece of this delicious product. Guess, no one. Neither can I! But instead of eating chocolate I will offer to feed your hair with it. Yes, no kidding! Who knew that chocolate can be so beneficial in hair treatment.
- Cocoa Powder Hair Mask: Ingredients & Effects
- Cocoa Powder Benefits for Hair
- Cocoa Butter for Hair Growth
- Honey. Moisture you Hair
- Castor Oil. The Goodness of Anti-oxidants
- Green Tea. Save your Scalp from Dandruff and Itching
- How to Make Chocolate Full Repair Hair Mask?
- How to Apply Chocolate Hair Mask?
- Tips to Use Chocolate Mask?
- Cocoa Hair Treatment Reviews
Nowadays many beauty saloons are ready to offer hair masks with chocolate. Well, it is wonderful procedure but costs much money. Instead of visiting such places where you waste bag of coins for simple procedure, I’d like to offer chocolate hair mask recipe which is easy to make at home. You will be astonished with the result – your hair will so soft and smooth and none of commercial product can give such effect, um, unless you retouch photo with photoshop. I didn’t believe in its effectiveness until I tried once. Since that time it is one of my favorite hair masks and I love to share it with all who want to have shiny and heavy hair.
Cocoa Powder Hair Mask: Ingredients & Effects
There are still a variety of recipes with cocoa including different components but I’d rather advise you to try the following combination.
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa butter
- 1 teaspoon of organic honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of castor oil
- green tea infusion
These ingredients are not taken by occasion. Each of them has particular effect on hair. Let’s see what benefits each organic component has.
Cocoa Powder Benefits for Hair
Cocoa powder contains fats (22%), proteins, tannins, vitamins and minerals, organic acids – that is all that is needed for the nutrition of the scalp and hair follicles, as well as to improve the hair structure.
Therefore, it is not surprising that cocoa is actively used in hair care, especially if hair is damaged and weakened.
Cocoa is rich in magnesium, a mineral that helps to stop hair loss. Cocoa also contains one of the highest levels of antioxidants than many other natural products, which is also really great for hair. It can add vibrancy, shine, volume and promote healthy hair growth. Cocoa powder as an ingredient in hair mask activates the blood circulation of the scalp, stimulating hair follicles. This is natural remedy to grow hair faster. Hair appearance will be improved due to regular cocoa application – it will become thick, silky and manageable. This is a good way to prevent split ends and reanimate dull and brittle hair.
Cocoa Butter for Hair Growth
Despite the delicious aroma of cocoa, cocoa butter can also help to moisturize your hair, helping to improve its general appearance and strength. Cocoa butter has also been linked to a lower incidence of dandruff and healthier hair follicle beds, thereby can reduce hair loss and preventing the onset of male pattern baldness.
Cocoa butter hair treatments are sometimes used in place of a regular conditioner. Its moisturizing properties can prepare hair for further styling and can increase the appearance of thickness. Cocoa butter can provide hair with a sleek, healthy look and increase natural shine. Regular use may also stimulate new hair growth, which may be a concern for those who are experiencing general thinning due to age.
Another benefit of cocoa butter is that it helps reduce scalp irritation. Regular applications can alleviate itching, and it can also ensure that the scalp is as clean as possible and remove dust particles and miscellaneous allergens. Cocoa butter may also help promote healthier skin on the scalp and provide a good environment for proper hair growth.
Honey. Moisture you Hair
The benefits of honey for hair need no new emphasis. Because of its effective moisture retaining capacity, it functions as an amazing hair conditioner that supplies moisture to the rough hair strands, smooths the open cuticles and can add natural shine and volume to dull, limp hair.
A little known fact is that honey can actually help against hair loss. It contains moisturizers that prevent hair falling by inhibiting the reduction of hair root moisture. High amounts of sugar in honey can help maintain moisture and strengthen hair follicles.
Castor Oil. The Goodness of Anti-oxidants
Castor oil is very beneficial for hair. It bags the goodness of anti-oxidants, omega 9 fats and ricinoleic acid. All these ingredients make castor oil a natural hair growth promoter.
Omega 9 fats in castor oil make it a miracle discovery for hair growth. It triggers stunted hair growth and also fights back baldness and hair thinning. Omega 9 fats add strength to each hair follicle. It prevents keratin against damage that is caused due to pollution and sun. Hence, it not just promotes new hair growth, but also protects existing hair against damage and thinning.
Ricinoleic acid in castor oil restores the normal pH level of the scalp. It cures the problems like scalp acne and dandruff caused due to imbalanced pH level of the scalp. This directly fights back dandruff and makes hair stronger, longer, shinier and thicker.
Anti-oxidants present in castor oil make it an amazing treatment for hair against dullness and frizz. Anti-oxidants increase blood circulation throughout the scalp. Increased blood circulation means increased oxygen supply throughout the scalp. This makes the hair roots stronger. It naturally offers deep conditioning to hair roots, hair follicles and scalp. As a result, the hair becomes frizz free, radiant and healthier.
Green Tea. Save your Scalp from Dandruff and Itching
Tea has powerful anti-inflammatory effects, and acts by soothing the scalp and prevents scalp irritation and inflammation. According to scientific research, this is beneficial for preventing dandruff and itching.
Useful nutrients found in green tea can balance the pH levels of the scalp, normalizing the oil production. This is beneficial for people with oily hair as well as for those with dry hair. Tea acts as an astringent, regulating the production of oil and preventing the accumulation of excess sebum on the scalp as well as keep nourishing and hydrating the hair, neutralizing dryness.
How to Make Chocolate Full Repair Hair Mask?
First step is preparing green tea. Take one teaspoon of green tea leaves. Then pour the hot water into the cup and let the tea steep for 3 minutes max.
Then it is time for cocoa butter. Even a small amount of this product will give wonderful aroma to the whole mixture, more like “so tempting to eat”. Break off a chunk of cocoa butter and gently melt it in a small bowl. A temperature around 90 degrees is all that is needed to liquefy. A double boiler can be used to melt the cocoa butter and retain all the delicious chocolaty flavor of the cocoa bean. Then pour cocoa butter into warm green tea. Add other ingredients and mix well until you get a smooth paste. If the mixture is quite watery add more cocoa into it so it won’t cause trouble while applying it on scalp and hair. Your chocolate hair mask is ready! Looks delicious, isn’t it?
Apply the hair mask on damp hair massaging the mixture gently starting from hair roots and then finishing with hair tips. Leave the mask on for 1-2 hours. After that wash hair with your favorite shampoo. If desired, after this procedure you can use homemade hair rinse (nettle or rice water) for better result.
How to Apply Chocolate Hair Mask?
- Any liquid before you mix the other ingredients with, you need to warm up a bit.
- To avoid lumps in hair mask, which are then difficult to comb out the hair, the powder must be poured into a slow stream of liquid, while continuously stirring it.
- It is recommended to put the mask on dirty, wet strands, rubbing the mixture into the roots and the ends.
- The greenhouse effect in the form of shower caps and bath towels for such masks are also desired.
- For dark-haired women cocoa hair mask lasts for 40-60 minutes, for fair-haired – not more than 15-20.
- Cocoa hair mask is easily washed from the hair with any shampoo. Water can be replaced by herbal infusion (for blondes – chamomile, for brunettes and brown-haired – nettle and oak bark rinse).
- Once a week, such procedures will be enough. But after a couple of months it is advised to take a break.
Tips to Use Chocolate Mask?
- First, this chocolate hair mask isn’t recommended for women with blonde hair. The reason for this – the ability of cocoa powder to give brownish hue on hair. But if you really wish to use cocoa as part of a hair mask, you must first apply oil (such as olive oil or burdock) on the hair, and after that apply a chocolate hair mask. However, there is a point: in this case a greater effect on the hair will be given by oil instead of cocoa. That is, the effect of the cocoa on hair will be minimal. Anyway, if you do not want to change the original color of the hair, you need to add any dairy products to the cocoa hair mask (yogurt or milk directly itself).
- Second, while using a mask with cocoa always use a old clothing to prevent coloring the skin. If the cocoa gets on your clothing, to wash off it will be extremely difficult, and in some cases – almost impossible.
- Third, check whether you have an allergy to cocoa and cocoa products (including chocolate). If you know exactly that you don’t have such, the – you got a green light to apply this wonderful chocolate mask. But if chocolate provoke allergy like skin irritation and itching, then better refuse to apply hair mask with cocoa on hair.
- Fourth, after application of the mask with cocoa, experts advise not to use any other hair products within two days. This is due to the fact that the action of useful substances contained in cocoa will last for 48 hours.
Personally, I’ve tried different hair masks but this one is my favorite one. I apply it each time I plan to wash my hair. And the result really impressed me – my hair was shiny and soft even after first application. Because of cocoa powder my hair acquired deep brown hue. It was a pleasant bonus for me. Have fun and don’t be afraid to experiment!
Cocoa Hair Treatment Reviews
Lolly Poppy, 18
Experimenting with natural products has been really good for my hair and so much fun.
I love cocoa mask!! I have long, slightly wavy, oily hair. I use this mask once a week and use a wide tooth comb to distribute it. I leave the blend on my hair for more than 30 minutes for better results. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. This is definitely worth trying if you have dark hair!
Funny Kate, 21
Wow! This is such an amazing and surprising idea to use cocoa for hair! Had no idea this works! I gave it a try as I am a brunette. After first application I noticed my hair is so smooth and lustrous! I like to combine cocoa powder with melted coconut oil and black tea. Sometimes I put few drops of vanilla essential oil. Also, the blend looks so yummy! I’ve never thought cocoa mask can give such wonderful results! I will recommend it to all my friends.
I been using a mixture of castor oil, organic honey and cocoa powder to thicken my hair. Usually, I rub this blend on the morning across my edges front back and sides. But sometimes I don’t have enough time and apply it overnight. I part my hair in 4 sections and massage it into the scalp for 10 minutes. Then, I put on a shower cap under my satin bonnet. When I awake my hair is luscious and soft. I already see fantastic results!
I made this mask yesterday without any essential oils, and my hair loved it! So shiny and glossy! I have dark hair so cocoa mask helps enhance natural beauty and give additional luster to my hair. I don’t recommend it for girls with blonde hair because cocoa powder may leave brownish tint in hair. But it is the best natural remedy for all brunettes! It is a great DIY moisturizing hair treatment!
Cocoa powder does wonders on my hair! It coats and helps to moisturizer my hair. I use many natural hair products but hair mask with cocoa powder is one of my favorite onse. Nothing seems to work as well as cocoa powder! This cocoa recipe for hair leaves my hair soft and very shiny. My friends compliment on me and ask whether I dyed my hair a little or not. My hair really looks so smooth! And it has slight chocolate scent.
Cony D., 19
Cocoa powder has no good effects on my hair. I have long straight hair. I mixed cocoa powder with honey and coconut oil. Apply it on damp hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. After I washed it off I didn’t notice any difference at all. My hair didn’t become shinier. I think it is just a waste of products and time.
This mask smells like chocolate. I like it! I use it when my hair is wet after shampooing. I let it sit on hair for 20 minutes and then wash it off with my favorite organic shampoo. The cocoa butter in recipe helps prevent my hair being too dry. I don’t use too much oil on hair because it is hard to wash it off with any shampoo. Only few oil can make your hair shiny and smooth. I think it is a wonderful natural remedy for dry and damaged hair. I use it for 2 months already and have great results! My hair looks healthy and growing much faster!